December 19, 2015

How brands can kill themselves

The Diwali sale advt by Reliance Digital
Our experience with Panasonic, Reliance Digital
It was not an easy decision for us to zero in on a TV model. Because it’s first ever TV we were buying. My kids and wife insisted we go for Sony one. Averse to brands, I was hard-selling an idea to go for a Micromax or a Skyworth. My suggestion was vetoed.
Then I did some homework and studied price tags of a few TVs vis-à-vis the features offered. I then found Panasonic 50” TV is the best bet. I went back to the House and put forth the research results. Moreover, we are going to get a sound system of the same make as a freebie.
My idea has been reinforced by the Reliance Digital advertisements in newspapers during the Diwali sale period.
 “Panasonic? That’s our electric rice-cooker brand. I haven’t seen a Panasonic TV in any house,” my wife protested.
“Panasonic? Nothing doing, we must go for Sony,” my 12-year-old son declared.
But this time, I was assertive and explained to them how good Panasonic technology is and the offer available at Reliance Digital. I don’t know whether they were convinced but finally gave in and went to the shop to buy the TV.
Frankly, I thought the freebie Panasonic sound system would come along with the TV. It was not to be. It was 40 days since we bought the TV but there was no communication from Reliance Digital on the likely arrival of the sound system.
Now and then, my wife, son and daughter would remind me about the audio system but I cleverly change the topic.
I don’t think I can ever convince again my family members in favour of another Panasonic product or another purchase at Reliance Digital. And, I bet my kids, who have another 60 years of ‘buying’ life, would ever go for these two brands. Not only that, they would share the story for the rest of their lives, impacting the buying decisions of their friends.
If you can’t honour a promise, you’d better not make such promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ఏ పార్టీలోకి?

రామయ్య: ఏం, బావా, ఏంటి దీర్ఘంగా ఆలోచిస్తున్నావు? సోమయ్య: ఏం లేదు బావా, ఎవరికి ఓటేద్దామా అని? రామయ్య: అదేంటి నువ్వు ఫలానా నాయకుడి అభి...